Tuesday, June 30, 2009

In the beginning there was light. Er, character limits.

I just spent half an hour trying to fit the mission statement of this blog into 500 characters or less. I wrote, and edited, and edited again. And I realized that I want this blog to do a lot of things. And a lot of things don't fit into a 500 character limit.

First and foremost, I want this to be a discussion. In subcultures people spend a lot of time talking about how culture affects us as people. And that's true, it does. But what often gets overlooked is that we as people are creating culture at the same time. And that's something I want to do here; create culture.

Also, I want to discuss relationships from a DIY perspective. Personally, I think that polyamory is a wonderful thing, but at the same time I realize that the word polyamory itself has all kinds of disjointed and unclear meanings that vary greatly. I choose to use the word polyamory because I like my definition of it. But really what we're talking about here is anything outside of the conventional definition of monogamy. And that's what is important; the idea that we are the makers of our own lives. That we're not following a dogma that has been prescribed to us by decades of social and religious concepts.

Finally, I want to help dispel the misconceptions about poly relationships. There are so many, and I'm sure as this discussion on alternative relationships progresses, we'll find more and more. And I want us, as a community, to help explain poly to a world that doesn't know much about it besides the awful examples that pop culture has handed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

make it up as you go along: